Our property lawyers work with real estate owners and investors who need to know that the acquisition, disposal and management of their properties are in safe hands. This is the bedrock of our practice and our skills are extensive and exceptional.
Our method of working involves the development of a comprehensive understanding of each client’s property needs so that we can operate with accuracy and a high degree of autonomy. Where appropriate, for clients with larger portfolios, we establish precedent documents, “preferred terms” and procedures allowing transactions to complete swiftly with minimum fuss.
We report on the nature of our clients’ investments and occupancies and maintain careful and accurate records, updating them whenever changes occur. If required, we offer additional services including dedicated client portals providing access to all relevant data and documentation. Our clients can thereby track their matters as we deal with the formalities.
We work with many clients across a wide range of sectors and industries on numerous and various real estate transactions. These include:
- Acquisitions and Disposals: We are experienced in acquiring and disposing of property interests of all kinds: from business parks to multi-let buildings, from petrol filling stations to industrial centres; from gyms to shops to halls of residence.
- Management: We provide support and expertise in the granting of leases, dealing with requests from tenants to make changes to their premises or for their disposal, collection of rent arrears, tackling breaches and dealing with rent review disputes. We encourage regular meetings to discuss progress on all the matters on which we are instructed
- Property Development: We advise landlords, tenants, developers, investors and finance providers on property development transactions for a wide variety of property types. With our planning and construction lawyers we are able to provide a complete service, from site acquisition, through planning, construction, letting and management to eventual disposal.
- Funding: We provide due diligence reports and certificates of title on funding or refinancing exercises.
- Notarial services
- Acting for MEPC at Milton Park on the pre-let of premises to Adaptimmune for the expansion of its global HQ in a major new purpose-built, state-of-the-art laboratory and office building totalling 67,000 sq.ft. Read more.
- Acting for Nuffield College Oxford, we concluded a joint venture agreement with Oxford City Council to acquire the strategic Oxpens site in Oxford city centre as part of a £200m urban regeneration scheme. Read more.
- Subletting of warehouse space at The Body Shop International plc/L’Oreal HQ to Amazon for use as a distribution centre. This deal involved incredibly tight deadlines and complex issues of security, 24-hour access and arrangements for staging of delivery vehicles.
- The team is retained by Patrizia in relation to Chineham Park, Basingstoke. Recent work includes an interconnected and interdependent network of agreements, leases, surrenders and variations at this 95-acre business park, simultaneously relocating five major occupiers to new space.
- The team was instructed by MEPC in respect of a major infrastructure agreement for Silverstone Park to provide power capacity for full site development including capacity ramping; first new-build scheme developed and further schemes emerging; development of metrology centre; full letting of separate acquisition of former Jordan Technology Park Silverstone.
- Acquisition of new store for Moss Bros Group plc at Westfield, Stratford. This was a significant letting of a large unit on a lease with far-reaching technical clauses relating to digital media requiring input from our technology experts.
- The retail team was instructed by the Body Shop International plc on the time sensitive relocation of the global HQ from New City Court, London Bridge to Knollys House, Croydon, where they leased just under 26,000 square feet of office space from UBS Global Asset Management UK Ltd.
- We advised Nuffield College Oxford on the acquisition of a 125 year leasehold interest from Christ Church College over multi-let/occupied buildings in the west end of Oxford city centre. Significant due diligence was carried out by the team on the occupational leases in place over the sites. The acquisition of this area forms part of the strategic plan for the overall redevelopment of the area and the provision of further accommodation for the University at large. The firm has been retained to advise on the scheme following the acquisition.
- Our retail team acted for Topshop in the acquisition/development and site assembly of their flagship store in the Bullring Birmingham. At 36,000 square feet this is the third biggest flagship store in the UK. This was a very important deal for the client and typical of our retail team’s acquisition work.
We’re immensely proud of our client relationships. We strive to be a welcome and constant companion throughout their journeys.
Many of our clients have been with us for a long time: some since the firm began. We help them navigate matters to achieve the right outcome and we stay with them until everything has been resolved. By securing and protecting our clients’ interests, we give them the confidence and freedom to focus on their core business.
Our clients operate in different industries and sectors, but most of them have serious real estate interests, whether in the form of property in the traditional sense or other types of physical infrastructure.