Property development is one of our core services and our experience is wide and multi–faceted. Our multi–disciplinary teams advise on all aspects of commercial real estate development projects and associated funding issues. Our project experience has involved green field sites, business/retail/leisure/industrial park projects, new energy projects, data centres, hotels, mixed use developments, infrastructure development and city centre development projects.
Our clients include:
- property developers
- landowners and investors
- occupiers of bespoke buildings
- local authorities
- forward purchasers
- construction companies and subcontractors
- professional consultants including architects, engineers and project managers
Our teams include experts in real estate, construction and planning. We have considerable experience of major development projects and a comprehensive understanding of the wide range of legal, planning and commercial challenges that impact on developments. Our lawyers demonstrate technical excellence and problem solving capability and have the experience and intellectual skills to satisfy the most demanding requirements.
We guide our clients through the myriad legal and commercial issues a development project can involve. To illustrate some of the fundamental issues that arise we have produced our “Top Ten Tips” for the key factors in any property development:
- Top ten tips for drafting heads of agreement for development
- Top ten tips for a successful planning application
- Top ten tips for construction procurement for development projects
Our work generally involves:
- Disposal of land for development
- Site acquisition and assembly
- Overage agreements
- Conditional agreements for lease
- Identification of planning issues; submitting and obtaining planning consent
- Design (including design rights)
- Construction tendering and contracts
- Agreements for the provision of roads and utilities
- Lettings and sales
- Property management
- Resolution and mediation of disputes
- Acting for a promoter of a scheme at Milton Heights in connection with the planning application and associated s106 agreement on a significant mixed use scheme providing 548 new homes, an extension to a primary school and improvements to community facilities.
- Acting for Nuffield College, Oxford on a unique and high profile joint venture agreement with Oxford City Council to acquire the strategic Oxpens site, west of Oxford city centre as part of a £200 million scheme to facilitate private sector investment and urban regeneration.
- The team advised a developer on 160+ new flats, office space, new pub, gym and community/cultural space in Wandsworth.
- We recently advised Nuffield College, Oxford on the acquisition of a 125-year lease from Christ Church College over multi-let/occupied buildings in Oxford city centre. The acquisition forms part of the strategic plan for the redevelopment of the area and provision of further accommodation for the University.
- Acting for MEPC on the pre–letting of several major new buildings on Milton Gate, adjacent to Milton Park Abingdon, including new car showrooms for VW, Jaguar Land Rover and Vauxhall, a Harvester Inn and a ‘Star Wars’ hotel.
- The pre–letting of major office developments on Milton Park of a 67,000 square foot laboratory and office building for biotechnology company Adaptimmune.
- Infrastructure and new buildings at MEPC’s Silverstone Park, including a high – performance technology and motorsport cluster. The first transaction for MEPC was the extension of the driving experience centre owned and operated by legendary sportscar manufacturer Porsche.
- Numerous infrastructure developments for energy and telecommunications clients
- New headquarter buildings for project managers Ridge, UK charity Oxfam and domain name client Nominet UK
- The sale for Lafarge of a major site in Kent for the proposed development of the London Paramount Resort, a project accepted by the UK Government as a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project
- The acquisition/development and site assembly of a new Topshop flagship store in BullRing Birmingham. This store, at 36,000 square feet, is the third biggest flagship store in the UK
- The site acquisition programme of new Selco centres for building supplies client Grafton Group
We’re immensely proud of our client relationships. We strive to be a welcome and constant companion throughout their journeys.
Many of our clients have been with us for a long time: some since the firm began. We help them navigate matters to achieve the right outcome and we stay with them until everything has been resolved. By securing and protecting our clients’ interests, we give them the confidence and freedom to focus on their core business.
Our clients operate in different industries and sectors, but most of them have serious real estate interests, whether in the form of property in the traditional sense or other types of physical infrastructure.