Our business services and real estate lawyers advise clients who would like to explore franchising for business growth or refine their existing franchise models to help deliver increased growth and value.
We provide commercially focused solutions by taking the time to understand our clients’ business. We lead our clients through the various stages of setting up a franchise model and advise on the various types of legal issues that are likely to affect them through the life cycle of the franchise.
Our services include advising on:
- Assessment of the suitability of the franchise model to the business objectives. Is the franchise model preferable to expansion, sales or licensing models?
- Setting up a Franchise System:
- Assisting in identifying, capturing and protecting relevant intellectual property rights (including designs and trade marks) which will form the core of the franchise
- Setting up a pilot operation (under a pilot agreement)
- Advising on the creation of an operations manual that captures the essence of the franchised business and the parameters within which franchisees must operate their franchises
- Drafting your franchise contracts:
- Advising on regulatory considerations, including competition law and data protection
- Preparing the main franchise agreement and ancillary documents such as the operations manual
- Ensuring the appropriate provisions are in place to reduce the possibility of a misrepresentation claim, or use of the franchisor’s brand following termination of a franchise
- Related Services:
- Real Estate services: in many cases there will be significant real estate issues surrounding the franchise system, especially where the franchisor wishes to control the premises from which franchisees operate.
- Employment: there are often employment issues relevant to franchises, particularly in relation to the sale of a franchise.
- Corporate: our specialists can advise on setting up corporate structures to best serve your business requirements for the franchise operation.
- Our commercial litigation lawyers will be available if a dispute relating to the franchise should emerge.
- A number of our household-name clients operate in part through confidential franchised arrangements. Our work for these clients involves real estate, commercial and employment contracts.
- Our franchise team acted for the new franchisor of a successful window cleaning business. The brief involved assisting the client in setting up a new franchise system, thereby allowing the business to expand while sharing risk with franchisees.
We’re immensely proud of our client relationships. We strive to be a welcome and constant companion throughout their journeys.
Many of our clients have been with us for a long time: some since the firm began. We help them navigate matters to achieve the right outcome and we stay with them until everything has been resolved. By securing and protecting our clients’ interests, we give them the confidence and freedom to focus on their core business.
Our clients operate in different industries and sectors, but most of them have serious real estate interests, whether in the form of property in the traditional sense or other types of physical infrastructure.