Our construction and engineering team provides a whole life service from early project procurement to completion and, where necessary, dispute resolution. Our team works in close union with our real estate lawyers, commercial litigation team and other vital construction project participants. We focus on identifying the best available routes to achieve a successful project outcome with properly considered procurement choices and well-drafted and skilfully negotiated contracts.
Our specialist knowledge, experience and advice enable us to deliver targeted advice cost-effectively to clients who can entrust us with complex matters with confidence. Our service includes:
- Choice of procurement route
- Contract drafting/review/negotiation
- Commercial building contracts, infrastructure and engineering contracts, process and energy plant contracts
- Supply contracts and purchase orders
- Operation and maintenance contracts
- Framework agreements
- Professional services contracts
- Collateral warranties, third party rights schedules and notices and third party duty of care undertakings
- Project insurance advice
- Pre-construction or early construction start arrangements
- Asset protection agreements
- Off-site materials and ownership
- Performance security, including bonds, guarantees and project accounts
- Dispute Resolution
We have a wealth of experience relating in particular to commercial offices, residential and mixed-use developments; hotel, leisure and sports stadia facilities; business and industrial parks; communication/utilities (including data centres); infrastructure projects; process plants, energy generation installations and the like.
We bring our commercial experience and sector knowledge to bear on any disputes which may arise and have extensive experience of formal and informal dispute resolution procedures, including adjudication, arbitration, litigation in the Technology and Construction Court and mediation.
- We advised an international data company in respect of the major refurbishment of their office complex comprising three separate buildings in Richmond, Surrey. Our real estate team dealt with the drafting of three new leases collaborating with our construction and engineering team on the drafting of a construction works agreement (including landlord funding). The team reviewed landlord appointments and building contracts and, for the tenant, drafted and negotiated professional appointments and collateral warranties and two major works contracts (HVAC and lifts) including performance security documents in respect of a major (£1.5m) landlord upgrade, tenant fit-out and Cat A upgrade.
- Acting on behalf of Selco (part of the Grafton Group) in relation to their tenancies of a number of new builder’s merchant outlets on long FRI leases at locations such as Crayford, Poole and Thurrock. The team dealt with the construction aspects of agreements for lease, the review and negotiation of building contract arrangements and professional appointments and security documents (including collateral warranties) and reliance on geotechnical reports.
- Preparing and negotiating construction and engineering documentation on behalf of Rockspring Hanover Property Unit Trust, including an engineer, procure and construct (EPC) contract with the solar panel supplier/installer and advising on procurement options for the development of subsequent phases of a solar energy installation for a business park near Aylesbury. Early phases of the solar installation provided c. 1.5MW of power.
- The team advised MEPC in relation to Thamesview Plot B Park Drive Central: This is a major new build development on Milton Park with a value of c £13m. MEPC carried out new base build and Cat B fit-out to tenant specification. The team advised on the drafting and negotiation of the building contract and professional appointments and security documents (including collateral warranties).
- Acting on behalf of Rackspace (data hosting), the team was engaged in respect of a landlord’s base build and tenant fit out of Building 5 Hayes. Value c. £26m, including reviewing and negotiating building contract and professional appointments with landlord on behalf of Rackspace as tenant with FRI lease. Drafting and negotiating building contract and professional appointments for Rackspace fitout works. Value c. £4.5m
- The team was also involved in MEPC’s new build of office and light industrial facility at 155 Brook Drive, Milton Park Drafting and negotiating building contract and professional appointments and security documents (including collateral warranties).
- Advising on procurement options and preparing construction documentation including professional appointments and building contracts acting for the developer of various specialist hotels and apart-hotels being developed in London with a value of c. £50m.
- The team was instructed by MEPC in respect of a major infrastructure agreement for Silverstone Park, involving drafting and negotiating electricity and gas utility supply and works contract between MEPC and Energetics (IDNO) relating to long term utility upgrade works. Value c. £12m. This work involved interesting drafting of mechanisms in the contract for determining the detail and pricing of future work scopes.
We’re immensely proud of our client relationships. We strive to be a welcome and constant companion throughout their journeys.
Many of our clients have been with us for a long time: some since the firm began. We help them navigate matters to achieve the right outcome and we stay with them until everything has been resolved. By securing and protecting our clients’ interests, we give them the confidence and freedom to focus on their core business.
Our clients operate in different industries and sectors, but most of them have serious real estate interests, whether in the form of property in the traditional sense or other types of physical infrastructure.