Hugh specialises in intellectual property law and commercial law. He joined us in April 2014 bringing over 20 years’ experience in intellectual property (‘IP’) law. Hugh has established a strong reputation for commercial IP work and has significant experience in a wide range of sectors and for clients in a number of different jurisdictions.
He has particular experience in relation to the IP aspects of transactions including merchandising, franchising (he is an affiliate member of the British Franchise Association), licensing, distribution, advertising, sponsorship, endorsement, media and entertainment law.
Hugh has led teams conducting intellectual asset management projects for clients, including carrying out intellectual property audits/due diligence and developing IP strategies to complement and enhance clients’ general business plans and management of their IP generally.
Hugh also acts for businesses in relation to the management and exploitation of their IP rights worldwide. His advice includes formulating brand management strategies; clearance of rights; international franchising and licensing projects and infringement issues.
He was previously a partner at specialist intellectual property law firms Rouse & Co International (1999-2010) and Sipara (2010-2013).
Hugh’s work has included:
- Working with a number of high street retail clients (Whittard, Shop Direct, B&Q, New Look, Richemont) on the commercial and IP aspects of their businesses including:
- the franchising and licensing internationally of key own brands, including preparing and negotiating the relevant franchise / licence agreements (and related supply agreements where appropriate);
- drafting and negotiating the management of supply networks: ensuring key rights are owned by the client and agreements are in place to provide supplier performance criteria and ensure a change of supplier is not too disruptive;
- personality rights clearance issues and photographic copyright clearance regarding the use of images of famous personalities; and
- data protection issues.
- Advising a media client in relation to the aggregation, storage, licensing and supply of digital content; the distribution of entertainment products; negotiations with collecting societies and the creation and licensing of entertainment websites/portals.
- Preparing contracts for major sportswear company for the carrying out of contract research and development of new materials and coatings for sportswear.
- Drafting/negotiating a cross-licensing and collaboration agreement with major international security company for the development and commercialisation of a new security product.
- Advising Formula 1 business on an R&D collaboration with a third party.
- Advising on the internal licensing programme for an international charity and devising a trade mark strategy across the foundation (Oxfam).
- Advised a product/packaging security business on patent protection, enforcement and licensing.
- Advising database-owning (set up originally by the European Commission) company on key licences relating to third party use, creation of apps, translations and creation of joint databases with partner organization (the GMDN Agency).
- Conducting an international brand licensing renegotiation between the manufacturer of industrial equipment and high street retailer of hand and power tools.
- Advising an international fashion brand group – providing ongoing copyright advice including personality right clearance and advice on music rights clearance issues.
- Acting for major hotel chain based in the Middle East in relation to a range of contracts relating to the branding and management of hotels and apartments.
"I have worked with Hugh Tebay for the last 5 years across multiple businesses including retail, wholesale and start-up manufacturing. This has included intellectual property issues and an array of commercial contract work covering the UK and international. I use Hugh because he is utterly reliable, concise and intelligent and understands instinctively what is required in any given situation."
"I am very impressed with the level of service and his technical and commercial knowledge."
Hugh “is valued by clients for his drafting and negotiating skills, and for being "very astute at looking at the wider commercial perspective"
Hugh Tebay is an expert on commercial concerns. He is "very practical and knowledgeable," and has "a real appreciation of client priorities." Clients add that he is "a very commercially minded man," even though "he is in a technical area of the law and has the mind for it"
We’re immensely proud of our client relationships. We strive to be a welcome and constant companion throughout their journeys.
Many of our clients have been with us for a long time: some since the firm began. We help them navigate matters to achieve the right outcome and we stay with them until everything has been resolved. By securing and protecting our clients’ interests, we give them the confidence and freedom to focus on their core business.
Our clients operate in different industries and sectors, but most of them have serious real estate interests, whether in the form of property in the traditional sense or other types of physical infrastructure.
Our commercial lawyers protect our clients' interests by negotiating and drafting accurate and succinct commercial agreements. Businesses are built around their commercial arrangements with others and we advise our clients how to ensure their competitive advantage is advanced and then maintained with robust contracts and the management of their commercial arrangements.
Our commercial and IT lawyers provide solutions for clients who are seeking to manage their IT strategies effectively. We advise on how best to protect their business and customers in relation to the use and commercialisation of proprietary and third party data, software, systems and intellectual property.
Intellectual property rights (including trade marks, designs, copyright and domain names) are fundamental to most modern businesses – they are key assets that inform the way businesses operate and they can have significant balance sheet value.
Our business services and real estate lawyers advise clients who would like to explore franchising for business growth or refine their existing franchise models to help deliver increased growth and value.
Property development is one of our core services and our experience is wide and multi – faceted. Our multi – disciplinary teams advise on all aspects of commercial real estate development projects and associated funding issues. Our project experience has involved green field sites, business/retail/leisure/industrial park projects, new energy projects, data centres, hotels, mixed use developments, infrastructure development and city centre development projects.
Technology and data
We provide services to clients across a range of industries, helping them to identify and manage the legal and commercial risks associated with an IT strategy and put appropriate contracts in place to structure their requirements. IT systems are of critical importance to most businesses and the need for robust agreements for both providers and customers alike is paramount.