Claire has extensive experience across a range of sectors (notably retail and leisure, banking, IT and manufacturing) in the following areas:
Transactional – drafting and negotiating:
- General commercial agreements: including confidentiality, goods, services, facilities management, marketing, sponsorship, consultancy and framework (single country and multi-jurisdictional) agreements.
- IT and outsourcing agreements: including software licensing/development and support, IT hosted services, hardware/maintenance, data centre services agreements (from co-location to full service), systems integration, managed services, web content, and design and development agreements.
- Franchising arrangements: advising franchisors and franchisees on legal and commercial issues arising in franchising projects. This spans the entire franchising life cycle and includes overseeing the suitability of the franchisee model to meet the franchisor’s business objectives and preparing and reviewing pilot and master franchise agreements (and related supply agreements where appropriate).
Commercial legal advice including:
- Tender processes
- Data protection
- Cyber security
- Data centre/cloud computing issues
- E-Commerce and online marketing
Provision of legal training to clients and their business teams. Recent seminars include:
- Annual commercial and contract law update
- How to safeguard your data in a digital world
- Data centre case study: from the cloud to the ground
- Cloud computing contracts risks and opportunities
Claire’s work has included:
- Advising a UK bank on data centre agreements in the UK and India with key service providers. This encompassed the negotiation of full service agreements for co-located data centre agreements, the fit out and operation.
- Advising a motor racing and engineering company on an R&D Collaboration Agreement with another technology company. The other party was prime contractor to develop certain highly confidential technology to a third party in the defence sector and our client was engaged as a specialist subcontractor to develop certain aspects of the technology.
- Advising a property company on the outsourcing of its IT system and disaster recovery with a UK mid-market outsourced service provider.
- Advising a software and consultancy company that has developed mobile device applications for more effectively managing systems such as booking and seat allocation for the airline industry. We have moved in 2014 from having developed its standard form agreements to now advising on high value licences to major airlines of the apps in question.
- Advising a large UK infrastructure provider in respect of the procurement of a new data centre by way of a lease and the creation and negotiation of a data centre services agreement with a specialist data centre operator.
- Advising a multi-national company on the £50m outsourcing of its pensions administration requirements. Work included advising on the tender process and drafting outsourcing contract.
Claire has been a great support in guiding us through the new GDPR legislation changes, associated policy writing and helping us to ensure we do all we can to protect both our customers and employees when it comes to data handling and sharing. The onsite training was a great success and really engaged staff. We couldn't have navigated the regulations as clearly as we did without Claire and I would thoroughly recommend BSDR when considering all things GDPR.
We’re immensely proud of our client relationships. We strive to be a welcome and constant companion throughout their journeys.
Many of our clients have been with us for a long time: some since the firm began. We help them navigate matters to achieve the right outcome and we stay with them until everything has been resolved. By securing and protecting our clients’ interests, we give them the confidence and freedom to focus on their core business.
Our clients operate in different industries and sectors, but most of them have serious real estate interests, whether in the form of property in the traditional sense or other types of physical infrastructure.
Our commercial lawyers protect our clients' interests by negotiating and drafting accurate and succinct commercial agreements. Businesses are built around their commercial arrangements with others and we advise our clients how to ensure their competitive advantage is advanced and then maintained with robust contracts and the management of their commercial arrangements.
Our business services and real estate lawyers advise clients who would like to explore franchising for business growth or refine their existing franchise models to help deliver increased growth and value.
Our commercial and IT lawyers provide solutions for clients who are seeking to manage their IT strategies effectively. We advise on how best to protect their business and customers in relation to the use and commercialisation of proprietary and third party data, software, systems and intellectual property.
Energy, infrastructure and utilities
Our lawyers have been involved with the energy, infrastructure and utilities sector for over 20 years. Our depth of experience and specialist knowledge enable us to deliver targeted, cost-effective advice.
Technology and data
We provide services to clients across a range of industries, helping them to identify and manage the legal and commercial risks associated with an IT strategy and put appropriate contracts in place to structure their requirements. IT systems are of critical importance to most businesses and the need for robust agreements for both providers and customers alike is paramount.
Health and care
We have a long history of working in this sector. Our multi-disciplinary team of lawyers advises health and care organisations on a wide range of corporate, commercial and real estate issues.
Charities and education
We have a long history of working in this sector. Our multi-disciplinary team of lawyers advises education organisations on a wide range of corporate, commercial and real estate issues.